Monday, May 12, 2008

Where have I been?

I've been neglecting my blog! There is good reason. Not only am I the mom of a busy toddler, I am also in the data analysis and writing stage of my thesis for my Master's program. I had been babysitting a friend's child full time, but now that's over, I'm working on my thesis every opportunity (in theory). I'm attempting to wake up at 7 am with the hopes that Willem will sleep until 8:30 or 9:00 each morning. And then while he's napping between 2:00 and 3:30, I hope I'll work some more. And when he's off to bed at 9:00, that should give me another couple of hours to work before bed.

Of course that's just in theory, because other projects have been keeping me busy. The Birth Survey is getting closer to its August national debut. I've also been pleased to become acquanited with the non-profit organization Solace for Mothers.

Solace is actually an acronym for Support to Overcome Labor and Childbearing Experiences. It was started by Licensed Therapist Sharon Storton whose private practice has been solely mothers who have experienced post partum mood disorders directly caused by traumatic birthing experiences. I expect we will be working together in the future, as Sharon is also on the executive board of the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services, the creators of the Birth Survey.

I have also been reading Susana Fierro-Baig's book, in my spare time, ha! I'm in Chapter 6 right now and working my way through.

Also, my family has been busy with traveling and visitors. A couple of weeks ago, we spent the weekend in the Olympic National Park, hiking through forests, mosses, ferns and beaches. Then for Mother's Day, my mother travelled from California to be with us. We planted our herb garden on Mother's Day. And between all that, we had a sick toddler and a possible miscarriage. (Turns out it wasn't an early miscarriage, thankfully).

So yeah, busy much?

No comments: