Thursday, February 14, 2008

Uh-huh

A couple of days ago, Willem and I were riding the bus back from Downtown Seattle. We sat down next to a man who probably was schizophrenic. The theme is his ramblings was quasi-religious anti-consumerism and his own experience with the divine. I was particularly enjoying hearing how he strung words and phrases together. I could never be that creative in my writing.

At one point, the man clapped his hands as he imitated slapping someone. Willem was very interested in his animated talking so he started clapping his hands and smiling at the man, who then turned his attention to Willem.

He started asking Willem about what type of person he would become, and how he would choose to live his life. He asked Willem, "Do you remember what it was like with God before you got here?"

And amazingly, Willem nodded his head and distinctly said "Uh-huh."

I looked at the woman sitting next to me and our eyes widened at the exchange.

No comments: